Out of the 75 female founders of color in the PROSPECTUS Spring ‘17 Cohort, Walker’s Legacy announces 5 finalists who will compete for $5,000 in prize funding
Walker’s Legacy, a global collective for women of color in business and entrepreneurship, has announced the 5 woman-of-color-owned businesses chosen finalists for the PROSPECTUS Online Business Accelerator Pitch Competition. PROSPECTUS is a 10-week business development training program aimed to equip its cohort of female founders with the tools and skills necessary to tackle some of the most prevalent issues, such as access to funding and business education, for women of color entrepreneurs.
The finalists will join Walker’s Legacy during its first annual Entrepreneurship Summit and $5K Pitch Competition in Houston, TX with partners, HPE, Google, and Wells Fargo. The finalists will compete before an expert panel of judges for one $5,000 in prize funding for their entrepreneurial venture.
Judges include Natalie M. Cofield, Founder and CEO, Walker’s Legacy; Crystal D. Hadnott, Director of Strategic Partners and Programs, EBONY Media Operations; Johnte Archer, Owner, J. Archer Insurance Group; Kim Roxie, Founder, LAMIK Beauty; and Brandon Andrews of Value Partnerships and ABC’s Shark Tank.
The chosen finalists include:
- Moisture Love: Founded by Jeannell Darden, Moisture Love is a collection of products for women with textured hair that desire a higher degree of moisturization.
- Bytenack: Founded by Anasofia Monteblanco, This e-learning platform allows children to learn computer science, computational thinking and coding using adaptive learning technology.
- The Black-Owned Market (theBOM): Founded by Michelle Dalzon, theBOM is a pop-up market destination that brings all of your new favorite black brands under one roof.
- Waste for Good: Co-founded by Sweta Govani, Waste for Good is a social enterprise piloting an initiative in NYC to convert local food waste into renewable energy.
- STILLGOING: Founded by Starr Barbour, this mobile and web-based service that allows users to connect on demand with a live guided meditation coach anytime, anywhere.
Coming from a variety of business backgrounds, the 2017 Spring cohort is comprised of female entrepreneurs in the fields of beauty, health and wellness, technology, communications, and much more. Throughout the program, these participants have collaborated virtually to learn how to take their businesses to the next level and receive first-hand advice from thought leaders in their industries. The training program provides solutions to problems and teaches participants on how to overcome obstacles specific to their industry.