Walker’s Legacy and the Walker’s Legacy Foundation are proud to host its annual Women in Economic Development and Civic Leadership Program and Awards Reception in partnership with the African-American Mayors Association (AAMA) on Thursday, September 21, 2017.
The event, in tandem with the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation 2017 Annual Legislative Conference, brings together women of influence in the realms of business and policy alike discuss both the challenges and opportunities for future growth and development in our cities.
The program will feature remarks by Congresswoman Brenda L. Lawrence (D-MI) and a Multicultural Women Mayoral panel discussion on economic development in growing U.S. cities moderated by Mayor Catherine E. Pugh (Baltimore City, MD) and including Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson (Gary, Indiana) and Mayor Lovely Warren (Rochester, NY).
The panel discussion will be followed by a networking and awards reception that will celebrate the recipients of the Women in Economic Development and Civic Leadership Award. Recipients of the Women in Economic Development and Civic Leadership Awards are recognized as champions of policy and programs to advance economic development, entrepreneurship ecosystems and job opportunities within their local communities nationwide. Recipients must work for a government, non-profit or chamber entity.
This year’s honorees include:
- Aisha Glover, Acting President and Chief Executive Officer, Newark Community Economic Development Corporation (Newark, NJ)
- Barbara George Johnson, Executive Director, John S. Watson Institute (Trenton, NJ)
- Carlecia D. Wright, Chief Diversity Officer & City Department Director (Houston, TX)
- Courtney Johnson Rose, Chairwoman, Houston Black Chamber of Commerce (Houston, TX)
- Courtney R. Snowden, Deputy Mayor for Greater Economic Opportunity (Washington, DC)
- Dr. Eloisa Klementich, President and Chief Executive Officer, Invest Atlanta (Atlanta, GA)
- Lisa Cooper, Director of Economic Development of the City of Birmingham (Birmingham, AL)
- McClain Bryant, Director of Policy at Office of the Mayor (Kansas City, MI)
- Tiffanie Standard, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Stimulus (Philadelphia, PA)
- Tina Herbert, Director, Office of Business Opportunities (Columbia, SC)
- Valerie Jackson, Director of Policy, Planning, and Development at City of East Orange (East Orange, NJ)
The panel program and awards reception will be held on Thursday, September 21, 2017 at the Microsoft Policy and Innovation Center on 901 K St. NW Washington, DC. The panel program will begin at 4:30pm to be followed by the awards reception at 6:30pm.
Chair-women Marie C. Johns, Former Deputy Administrator of the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and Managing Partner at Leftwich, LLC and A’Lelia Bundles, Author, Biographer, and Great-great-granddaughter of Madam C.J. Walker will host the program alongside Mistress of Ceremonies, Lesli Foster, WUSA-9 Anchor and Journalist.
RSVP today and join us for an impactful event discussing the development of policy and programs to advance economic development, entrepreneurship ecosystems, and job opportunities within our minority communities.