Walker’s Legacy in partnership with the African American Mayors Association (AAMA) will recognize eleven (11) multicultural women leaders in economic development during the 2017 Annual Legislative Conference.
Walker’s Legacy and the Walker’s Legacy Foundation are proud to announce the recipients of its Women in Economic Development and Civic Leadership Award in partnership with the African American Mayors Association (AAMA).
Recipients of the Women in Economic Development and Civic Leadership Awards are recognized as champions of policy and programs to advance economic development, entrepreneurship ecosystems and job opportunities within their community. Recipients must work for a government, non-profit or chamber entity.
This year’s honorees include:
- Aisha Glover, President and Chief Executive Officer, Newark Community Economic Development Corporation (Newark, NJ)
- Barbara George Johnson, Executive Director, John S. Watson Institute at the Thomas Edison State University (Trenton, NJ)
- Carlecia D. Wright, Chief Diversity Officer & City Department Director, City of Houston (Houston, TX)
- Courtney Johnson Rose, Chairwoman, Greater Houston Black Chamber of Commerce (Houston, TX)
- Courtney R. Snowden, Deputy Mayor for Greater Economic Opportunity, Government of the District of Columbia (Washington, DC)
- Dr. Eloisa Klementich, President and Chief Executive Officer, Invest Atlanta (Atlanta, GA)
- Lisa Cooper, Director of Economic Development, City of Birmingham (Birmingham, AL)
- McClain Bryant, Director of Policy at the Office of the Mayor, City of Kansas City (Kansas City, MO)
- Tiffanie Stanard, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Stimulus (Philadelphia, PA)
- Tina Herbert, Director, Office of Business Opportunities, City of Columbia (Columbia, SC)
- Valerie Jackson, Director of Policy, Planning, and Development, City of East Orange (East Orange, NJ)
The program is chaired by Chair-women Honorable Congresswoman Brenda L. Lawrence (D-MI), Marie C. Johns, former deputy administrator of the U.S. Small Business Administration(SBA) and managing partner at Leftwich, LLC and A’Lelia Bundles, author, biographer, and great-great-granddaughter of Madam C.J. Walker. The program will also include the participation of Mayor Catherine E. Pugh (Baltimore City, MD), Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson (Gary, Indiana), Mayor Lovely Warren (Rochester, NY), Mayor Vivian Covington (University Park, IL), Mayor Karen Weaver (Flint, MI) and Mistress of Ceremonies, Lesli Foster, WUSA-9 anchor.
The panel program and awards reception to follow will be held on Thursday, September 21, 2017 during Annual Legislative Conference at the Microsoft Policy and Innovation Center. The panel program will begin at 4:30pm to be followed by the awards reception at 6:30pm.
For more information on the Walker’s Legacy Women in Economic Development and Civic Engagement Panel and Awards or to attend, please visit here.